24 Mar 2014

Who will represent me, a foreign man in NORWAY?

Illustration clip from MS Word

Letter from a reader (verbatim):

Dear Editor,

A friend once told me that it takes a man to know how difficult it is to be a man and only a woman to make him know the difference. Now that I have become one myself, and above all, finding myself in a foreign country, I am struggling with the terms defining my existence as a man in Norway. 

Yes, I have now realised how difficult it is to be a man in the society where I reside today. Norwegian life can be challenging even for the Norwegian men in their own country so to be honest, the following list of questions are more of a cry for recognition, acceptance and a desire to be respected and treated as a normal hard working and community development oriented man rather than a simple foreigner.


Who will represent me, a legal, normal and hard working man with a ‘foreign’ background? I don't depend on NAV, I have done the best at school, got good grades and never been involved in crime? 
Who will represent me, when all debates about foreigners in this country end up in another attack on my person and my background? Who will defend me, a normal non-fundamental Christian man living in Norway anno 2014 when the best defenders of my rights are the kinds of Abid Raja and Khadra Yousuf?

How can I relax and work, pay tax and live a normal life when Khadra, Raja and the rest are only focussed on defaming those like me by labelling us rapists, drug vendors, smugglers, credit card thugs, illegal alliens, forced in organised and pre-arranged marriages, thugs and supporters of FGM e.t.c

Yes, I keep asking, Who will represent me, a normal hard working man who has never faulted on paying my bills in time, never begged for support from NAV and never got involved in any kind of crime. 

Please post this note on your page please.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was an issue that has never been raised before and i think it was a very good idea.
I would think that the best way to go about it is for you and the rest of successful male foreigners is to come forward and show the society that there are foreigners who are different from what is being presented.

African man in Oslo said...

The questions posted here and the topic is very important because as written, foreigners are always put in one box. There are good and bad in all quarters but mostly negative things get to the top of the agenda. African men for example are nearly not presentede anywhere positively. Where can we start to get this on the agenda? Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Wow. Home is best. Make investments back home and come back once your stint out there is over. Dorry bout the trouble.s. i can help you invest in real estate especially land. Think about nyama choma and cheer up.